- Madsen, Ulla Ambrosius (Project participant)
China is a unitary multinational state, with minority population of 106 million, 8.5% in proportion of the total. Thus it remains a question for the minority children as how to promote cultural identity while receiving a quality education, which is also considered as an outstanding issue--"culture and development" ---in the field of minority education, and a policy dilemma.
This project focuses on the UN development program-Spain MDG subproject Strengthening Policies and Institutional Capacity While Developing Cultural Sensitivity and Implementing High-quality Education for Minority Children, the gist of which is to solve the issue of "culture and development" by improving the capacity of existing education policy that serves for special demand of minority. Eight UN agencies cooperate on this issue with support from the achievement fund for UN-Spain MDG. The general goal is to increase the minority's involvement in the cultural, political and economic activities by improving public policies and services. Besides, minority are empowered to manage culture resource and benefit from their economic development. Its unique characteristics lie in that "culture" is considered an important issue in this field of development and trans-regional development. It recognizes that culture diversity as human heritage is essential, as well as the great significance of proper culture sensitivity to meet the needs of minority's development. By fitting the culture diversity into the frame of development, the project seeks a practical mode of maintaining the minority's diverse culture and specialty while promoting their development.
Strengthening Policies and Institutional Capacity While Developing Cultural Sensitivity and Implementing High-quality Education for Minority Children serves as a subproject of the "culture and development" project. It aims at strengthening the decision-making and technical capacity, improving the educational system, solving major issues in minority education, developing and implementing the basic mode for minority culture sensitivity education. It focuses on the integration of minority culture diversity and education quality improvement into policy and institutional development. This integration will be adopted as major strategy to solve the problems and respond to those diversified culture, nationality, language demands. Full integration serves as the goal and means, includes changes in educational policy implementation, method and strategy.
Therefore, this project aims at the following:
1. Two challenges of minority education will be addressed, the first is to increase the enrollment rate and academic performance of minority students, the second is to closely associate the education they receive with their minority culture and language to improve education quality.
2. Education policies are designed with flexibility in order to meet the needs of different municipalities and situations and protect their culture diversity. It is supposed to be risky that minority students' specialty and diversity are ignored, thus are assimilated if all schools adopt the same curriculum design and test system without any flexibility.
3. Government shall protect and reinforce the minority unique culture, values and identity while devoting to improving their education level, in order to ensure that minority children receive proper elementary education of culture and language. In order to retain culture diversity while promoting social unity, decision-makers shall improve their capacity of stipulating and implementing culture sensitivity education policy, and ensure the quality education of language and culture for minority students.
|Period||31-10-11 → 31-10-11|
|Research programme||<ingen navn>|
- Ethnicity, Education, China